The 25 Best Alternatives To Your Enterprise Applications & Functions

The following article on one of my favorite subjects, freeware. This selection is slanted to “enterprise” type solutions.

I’m in the process of updating some material which I will soon post here but in the meantime you should take a look at this article. It has some great ideas. Click on the link below for some good ideas and links. Some of these are new to me.

John Perez, Wednesday, December 10, 2008
2009 Budgets are in and for many who oversee the Operations and IT Budget, you are probably challenged to reduce your capital budget by at least 40% lower than what you originally put in. As the pressure to cut continues, you may want to rethink about the software vendors you have selected to introduce into the Enterprise, or even think about replacing your legacy Enterprise applications with more cost effective open source alternatives.

Still not convinced about Open Source or Lower Cost Alternatives? Well according to Gartner, approximately 85% of companies surveyed are already using Open Source Applications in 2008. The other 15% surveyed have plans to incorporate Open Source Strategies within their Enterprise in 2009. Whether your a small business, or you are looking to minimize costs – attached are some of the most cost effective applications on the market that can easily replace some of your more expensive Enterprise solutions and functions.

Here is the link to the Slashdot discussion of the article, it has a bunch of interesting insights.

Just found a site “Find Open Source Alternatives to comercial Software”. Looks pretty good at 1st blush.

Advertisements