As posted earlier, I could not seem to get Acrobat 8 (latest patches) to print correctly from Access Yes I could print, after having followed Adobe’s debug script to re-run install/repair (from control panel) but only in black and white and without being able to specify file location or file replace…(program just hung)
About to give up, I installed some freeware, “bullzip printer” after a reboot, not specified in the documentation, it works like a charm, well it keeps defaulting to black and white but will do color when asked nicely and repetativley!
Why can’t Adobe get this right, they charge a premium price but support committment and bloat are going to kill them.
Well I thought I had it all together. The Adobe printer with Acrobat using Access cannot prompt for a file location, when I set that option the process hangs… If I leave it going to the default .Documents folder all runs ok.
But within Access the printer option dialog started appearing then disappearing depending on mouse (touchpad) operation,,,particularly when trying to set Acrobat printer options/ doesn’t give me a lot of confidence…I really don’t have that much time to devote to ironing all the tweeks out. So far Neither Microsoft not Adobe are offering to pay!
I had heard that Vista 64 was running regular Win 32 bit apps fine, Your mileage may vary!!! I don’t consider either Acrobat v8 nor Access v2003 to be terribly exotic!
Just got a new Gateway Laptop with Microsoft Vista 64 pre-installed. As I expected I did run into some weirdness. The system comes with two versions of internet explorer the regular 32 bit version and the 64 bit version. Seemed weird to me until I discovered that I could not download a patch that required the “genuine advantage feature” with the 64 bit version, no error just did not work…went to the 32 bit version worked like a charm, way to go Microsoft! You would think if they want to promote Vista-64 they would get all of the job done??
Next up was trying to get Acrobat professional working…(version 8.0 intially ) I use this regularly to “print” my reports and then combine hem for electronic distribution. Short result is that the straight install did not work. I then found that an update was required.. I installed it, still no joy, I then followed a trouble shooter script from the Adobe web site, so you can be assured I’m not the first to have the problem. In short It appears the running “update and repair” from the control panel add remove programs menu got it fixed. Note that I had previously done an Update to the same. That 1st update did not get the job done but the second, and a reboot did.
There were a few other small things not really worth mentioning. I hope that the system does not have as yet undiscovered issues, but it seems to be running some of my heavy duty Access 2003 files just fine, and 4x faster than my 1 gig 1.25 ghz dell desktop!